KCLU 88.3FM - 102.3FM - 1340AM

Listen Now

6:30pm - 7:00pm

Ventura County Pursuing Plan To Expand Jail

Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:15pm

Ventura County is going to pursue a state grant to expand one of its jails.

The Sheriff’s Department is hoping to build a $35 million dollar, 64 bed addition to its facility on Todd Road, outside of Ventura.

The addition is intended to provide needed room for chronically, or mentally ill inmates.

When the Todd Road Jail was built in 1995, it wasn’t designed to house inmates with serious health issues.   But, with overcrowding issues, and the state shifting some inmates to local jurisdictions, the needs have changed.

Sheriff Geoff Dean told County Supervisors that the county may be able to get a grant covering 90% of construction costs, with the county paying $3.5 million dollars, or the remaining 10% percent for the medical unit.

County Supervisors unanimously approved the proposal.

KCLU Local News

KCLU Featured Stories